The 15-member Council chaired by Attorney General Moody, will build on existing state and local partnerships working to combat human trafficking.
Members include law enforcement officers, prosecutors, legislators, as well as experts in the fields of health, education and social services. The Council was created through legislation passed and signed into law in 2014.
About Human Trafficking
The International Labor Organization estimates that there are 20.9 million victims of trafficking around the world. Domestically, Florida continues to rank third in the nation in the number of calls to the National Human Trafficking Hotline.
Victims of human trafficking include children, women and men who are subjected to sexual exploitation or forced labor through force, fraud or coercion.
According to a study of U.S. Department of Justice human trafficking task force cases, 83 percent of sex trafficking victims identified in the United States were U.S. citizens. The average age that a trafficked victim is first used for commercial sex is 12-14.
The Statewide Council on Human Trafficking was created to support human trafficking victims by enhancing care options available.
Council duties include:
- Develop recommendations for comprehensive programs and services including recommendations for certification of safe houses & safe foster homes.
- Make recommendations for apprehending and prosecuting traffickers and enhancing coordination of responses.
- Hold an annual statewide policy summit with an institution of higher learning.
- Work with the Department of Children and Families to create and maintain an inventory of human trafficking programs and services in our state.
- Develop overall policy recommendations.
- Attorney General Ashley Moody, Chair
- Secretary Chad Poppell, DCF, Vice Chair
- State Surgeon General (pending appointment)
- Secretary Mary C. Mayhew, AHCA
- Commissioner Rick Swearingen, FDLE
- Secretary Simone Marstiller, DJJ
- Commissioner Richard Corcoran, DOE
- Majority Leader Kathleen Passidomo (Term: April 5, 2017 to June 30, 2020)
- Chairman Heather Fitzenhagen (Term: February 7, 2019 to November 3, 2020)
- Sheriff Chris Nocco, Pasco County Sheriff (Term: February 16, 2019 to June 30, 2020)
- Dave Aronberg, State Attorney 15th Judicial Circuit (Term: March 9, 2017 to June 30, 2020)
- Lieutenant Governor Jeanette Nunez (Term: February 25, 2019 to June 30, 2022)
- Terry Coonan (Term: June 30, 2016 to June 30, 2020)
- Dotti Groover-Skipper (Term: July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2020)
|March 1, 2019 at 1:00 PM||
Cabinet Meeting Room
400 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399
News Releasesview all
THE U.S. DEPARTMENT
OF JUSTICE HOTLINE
FLORIDA ABUSE HOTLINE
REPORT IT TO YOUR