Civil Rights

2012 Hate Crimes Report

The report is available for downloading in Adobe Acrobat format.

Executive Summary

The 2012 Hate Crimes in Florida Report, contains data reported by individual local law enforcement agencies throughout Florida. These agencies reported the occurrence of hate crime incidents in 2012 under the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) information system. Currently, 402 agencies participate in the UCR system and this report is based solely on the information provided to FDLE by the reporting agencies.

Of the 402 participating agencies, 69 agencies reported hate crimes in 2012, compared to 58 agencies that reported hate crimes the previous year. This year's total represents 17.2 percent of the agencies that participate in the UCR reporting system.

The report shows the number of hate crimes committed, and the nature of the alleged motivation behind the off enses. During 2012, there were 170 reported hate crimes in Florida. Hate crimes motivated by the victim's race/color represented 54.1 percent of all reported hate crimes, followed by sexual orientation at 28.8 percent; religion at 10 percent; ethnicity/national origin at 6.5 percent; and mental disability at 0.6 percent. No hate crimes were reported under the categories of physical disability or advanced age.

There are two categories of hate crime off enses: crimes against persons and crimes against property. Crimes against persons accounted for 68.8 percent of all incidents reported in 2012. Crimes against property accounted for the remaining 31.2 percent. As variations may exist among law enforcement agencies in how hate crime data is gathered and reported, it is important to note that this report does not include unreported crimes or crimes that may be hate-related but are not classifi ed as such by the local reporting agencies.

This report also does not include data regarding hate crimes committed against the homeless. Although homeless status was added as a protected class in Section 775.085, Florida Statutes in 2010, no data is available because homeless status is not part of the UCR and is not required to be collected by law enforcement agencies or FDLE as part of the Hate Crimes Reporting Act.