How to Protect Yourself in a Parking Garage
Source: Florida Attorney General's Office
- If you must leave a key with a parking attendant, leave only your vehicle's ignition key. Do not leave anything attached to it with your name and address.
- Don't park next to a van's sliding door.
- Change from high heels to low flats or even sneakers when leaving work. They are better to run in.
- At night, leave your office or building in the company of others. Don't leave alone after dark. If possible, have someone from your building security escort you, or call for police assistance.
- Approach your vehicle with your keys already in your hand.
- Look around your vehicle for any suspicious activity. If you see someone loitering around your vehicle, walk past until they leave.
- Do a quick scan of your vehicle's interior before unlocking the door. Be sure to look in the back seat.
- Keep your doors locked and your windows shut.
- Be suspicious of anyone approaching your vehicle, whether passing out leaflets or asking for donations. Always leave the car windows up.